tiistai 14. lokakuuta 2008

Nothing in English

It's a pity that very few brochures have something in English and foreign people living in Espoo will not get enough information about the candidats in the municipal elections. If you want to know general things about the municipal elections in English, you can watch a clip that OUBS - a student tv-channel in Otaniemi - has made: http://www.oubs.fi/suomi/ohjelma/10607//Election+lecture

My interests in Espoo are:

* "Green ideas" in construction - new buildings should be contructed in a environment friendly way and parks and nature should be near us also in the future
* Services for young people (eg. related to mental health)
* Equality in the communal services - the people working at services should have enough knowledge to be able to serve every kind of people (eg. foreign people)
* Communal transport - it should be cheap, fast and comfortable

If you want to know more - you can leave a comment here and I'll answer you.

2 kommenttia:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Hi,

Thanks for making an entry in English! Although I can read and speak Finnish, it is far easier for me to think about these important issues in English.

That said, can you please discuss your thoughts on the proposed road tolls for Helsinki traffic?

Also, I am disappointed with the limited recycling opportunities in Espoo. How can these be improved? Do you know what happens to the "sekäjäte" when it leaves our homes? Does it go to Ämmässuo or another dump? Are energy wastes/recyclables/bio wastes sorted out at a facility to capture what people don't voluntarily recycle?

Sorry to sound like I'm drilling you. I would honestly like to know if anyone knows--because no one can tell me.

Satu Raudasoja kirjoitti...

I'm sorry I've been very busy and I haven't noticed your comment until now. But here is my answer.

The road tolls as Vihreät sees them - the idea is to have an impact that would reduce traffic on the worst traffic hours. At other times there wouldn't be any tolls. And the money would be collected by using that kind of technology that it wouldn't cause any trouble when driving. I personally think that first we should develop our public transport before getting any tolls.

I don't know excatly how the waste "sekajäte" is handled but I think it goes quite straight to a dump. I've seen how it is handled in some countries - that they separate everything from the mixed waste. On YTV's(the YTV Waste Management that is responsible for waste management in the capital area) website the don't give too much information, but as understand from their website all mixed waste goes to a dump and everything that is sorted beforegand will be handled as they should.

Link to their website:
http://www.ytv.fi/ENG/waste/waste_management/waste_treatment_centre/frontpage.htm

There where I live we have separate containers for different kind of waste: paper, cardboard, carton, biowaste, metal, glass, battery - and mixed waste ("sekajäte"). In some places they have also "energy waste" (energiajae). So, in Finland people should volontarily recycle...